Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How it all began...

Hi,
I will take a brief moment to introduce myself before I start actual posting my new (to me) discoveries and favorite stand-by recipes. My name is Carissa, and I love to cook.
I grew up living all over the western hemisphere, and as I grew up, Mama had a habit of cooking really good food from all over the world. She let me into the kitchen when I had a good enough grasp of reading to follow recipe instructions, and I became a highly prolific sugar cookie maker thanks to Sesame Street's children's cookbook. Time passed, and I have branched out from cookies and cakes to making "real food" (the kind that doesn't necessarily guarantee the discovery of a new cavity during the next dentist appointment.) Fortunately I fell in love with and married a wonderful man who lets me cook whatever I want, from potato gnocchi to Swedish meatballs to Navratan Korma served with Naan.

Over the past few years I have collected my favorite recipes from any source I could find. Magazines, newspaper clippings, websites, the back of the Hershey's chocolate chip bag, even an alphabet cookbook meant for 10 year olds... I realized that few recipes are just the way I like them, so I change them. Then come the friends with the question: "This is great! Can I have your recipe?" The truth is generally that there is no recipe for the food they just ate, so I hand them the original and wish them good luck making my on-the-spot modifications. So this is where the blog comes into play. This blog is meant to be a place to share the recipes I come across and think the whole world should know about. But this isn't a book... it's just a space to share my new little discoveries. So this is for anyone out there who wishes they could find one straight forward no-fine-tuning necessary recipe for whatever they want to eat for their next meal. Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment